After reading Miss M’s blog Altars post, I started to think about my own little altars, the things that remind me of where I came from and where I am going. Mine are not in the form of tattoos, although I would love a little sea turtle on my ankle. but mine are a mixed bag of objects and places that when I experience them, I am always a little taken aback. Here is my list of some of
my little altars everywhere…….
* the smell of pipe smoke, there is just something about it that takes me back to home and my father and his father smoking their pipes and just being men.
* my mother’s bible, it has handwritten notes on every page and her prayers for us and herself, it is precious to me in every single way.
* My husband’s notes he has left me over the past twenty one years, like ” Suzy, I know you ate the whole pie” which did happen when Lindsey and I both had cars problems one day. And the singing Elvis valentine card….. I can’t stand Elvis, but he loves him.
* biscuits with honey…. need I say more?
* the smell of salt air at the beach or the heavier, musty smell of river. I think this is just ingrained in me….. hence the sea turtle tattoo wish.
* a sketchbook and freshly sharpened pencils…. the possiblities !!!!!
* my daughter’s writings and notes over the years…. I will not and cannot part with them as well as her little tooth that the tooth fairy evidently forgot to collect!
* my grandparents old house next to the high school in Blountstown…. every time I drive by it the memories wash over me like a flood. To me, its still their house and they probably think I’m a stalker they way I slow down to a crawl when going by it.
* There are many, many more things, but I don’t want to bore anyone any longer. They are my memories and am sure that others may think them silly. But to me, they are some of the glue that makes and holds this girl together…. Suz